First month of recovery

green leaf plant covered with white smoke
Photo by Madison Inouye on

I’ve been slowly recovering at home for the past 3 weeks, after an 18-day hospital stay following my surgery. On the day of discharge, I initially thought that recovery would be a gradual, day-by-day improving path. The reality is that it has been quite challenging, with more setbacks than I anticipated.

1. Nutrition

Not having a stomach means that I need to have a feeding tube for a few months, until I’m able to sustain myself enough through oral intake. Currently, the feeds run 12 hours through the night, and provide me with 70% of my caloric intake. As for meals that I’m able to eat, they are quarter portion sizes, and it takes me about 1-2 hours to eat them. Without a stomach, I cannot tell when I’m hungry, nor can I tell when I’m full. Initially, there was a lot of trial and error, eating until I became nauseated, or until I start hiccupping. After 3 weeks of trying, I now have a better sense of what my limit is, and now know to stop eating before uncomfortable symptoms develop.

Nutrition through my feeding tube, running over 12 hours.

2. Uncontrolled pain

During the first week home, I struggled in determining how much hydromorphone I needed to take in order to feel comfortable. With my extensive incisions in my chest and abdomen, I needed pain meds to be able to move around. At first, the pain was manageable, but I then developed a new type of pain over my ribs, which pushed me to gradually increase the amount of hydromorphone I was taking. After a week and a half, the pain got so bad that it felt like I was being stabbed in the ribs with every breath that I took. I eventually went to the ER, and after a series of investigations determined that I had a pleural effusion, which is fluid that had accumulated in my chest and preventing me from properly breath. The thoracic surgery team took out 800 ml of fluid (normally there is only supposed to be 10 to 20 ml), which significantly helped with the pain. Unfortunately, it had taken me an increasingly large amount of hydromorphone before that happened. When I left the hospital, I was taking 2-4 mg of hydromorphone a day. By the time I visited the ER, I had increased my consumption to 18 mg a day. For reference, when someone breaks their arm and visit the ER, they are given 1-2 mg of hydromorphone. With the amount of taking, it wasn’t long before I suffered its side-effects.

3. Opioid withdrawal

One particular annoying side-effect of opioids such as hydromorphone is constipation. Despite numerous laxatives, I ended up not having a bowel movement for 4 days, and was started to feel too bloated to eat anything. In a desperate (and foolish) attempt to keep my nutrition on tract, I decided to abruptly cut-down my hydromorphone down to almost nothing. This was a big mistake. I went into full blown withdrawal, with chills, nausea, vomiting, and became generally uncomfortable with muscle aches. After a few days of suffering, most of these symptoms went away, and I was able to eat again.

Now that these events have passed, I’m now able to resume my recovery. I’m still waking up every 2 hours at night because of stiffness and discomfort from sleeping at a 45 degree angle, and I can’t wait for the day when I can have a full night’s sleep without relying on any painkillers. While my full recovery will take several months, I need to be strong enough in 2 week’s time in order to start my second set of chemotherapy.

I’d like to mention that my family has been instrumental in helping me keep my sanity over the past month. I know that there are patients who manage to recover alone at home, and I have nothing but the utmost respect for them. For everyone else, I do not recommend going about the recovery alone for the sake of your physical and mental health.



7 thoughts on “First month of recovery

  1. You’re storys are so inspirational! It’s amazing what your are enduring.


  2. Deborah Villeneuve November 5, 2018 — 9:01 am

    I really admire you. I had always heard what a great guy and resident you were from your colleagues and people like Wayne Gold (I am his assistant), but this blog has revealed just what an incredible person you are. I hope that you recover and I think of you often. I wish you all the best in this battle and I am confident that you will win!


  3. Your courage is inspirational. Your reflections and insights are humbling. Thank you so much for sharing your experience. I learn from your wisdom and also really appreciate the updates on how you are doing.


  4. Thanks for sharing these updates Terence. They are so inspirational and highlight your resilience, strenght, courage in the face of life’s biggest challenge. Wish you all the best.


  5. Hi Terence – thank you for sharing your experiences via this very well-written blog. I wish you a speedy recovery and hope to see you soon!


  6. Thank you for sharing Terence. I hope you feel stronger with every day. Wishing you the best.


  7. Terence,
    Your strength and courage are inspirational. Thank you for sharing your story. Thinking of you as you continue your recovery.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this:
search previous next tag category expand menu location phone mail time cart zoom edit close